The season of Lent has returned once again. How are you preparing yourself to enter into Christ’s passion?
Prepare the Way
This summer I went on a 10 mile hike through the desert.
By hike I mean shuffle, and by desert I mean the outskirts of Krakow.
Leading up to this World Youth Day pilgrimage I was still adjusting to my new job which led to little preparation. Instead of filling my bag like a sane person, I brought a small water bottle, one foil blanket, the mat that is supposed to go under the sleeping bag, and a severe lack of sunscreen.
About 2 miles in, my journey became less about the pilgrimage and more about my discomfort, 5 miles in, I stopped offering up my sufferings, and that night, instead on praying with fellow pilgrims, I shivered under my foil blanket, nursing my severe sunburn. I missed out on a lot that night, because I was unprepared for the sacrifices I was to make in order to meet Jesus in that field 10 miles outside of Krakow.
Packing for Lent
Lent is a difficult journey we make every year, and since it is every year, sometimes we may let it sneak up on us. The Church has given us a packing list of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving to help us prepare for this season- to do more than simply giving up chocolate for 40 days.
Take it from my man, Fr. Mike.
“How can I let God use this time… to make me a saint?”
Below are resources and Archdiocesan events to help support you on your Lenten journey.
- Best Lent Ever – Short videos and devotional content from Dynamic Catholic sent to your email every day.
- Word on Fire – Receive daily Gospel reflections this season from Bishop Barron.
- EatMoreFish – A one-stop-shop featuring a video of the stations, a penance generator, and fish fry map.
The Pillars of the Season
“Lent is a favorable season for deepening our spiritual life through the means of sanctification offered us by the Church: fasting, prayer and almsgiving.” – Pope Francis, Message for Lent
How can I develop my relationship with Jesus through prayer this lent?
- Archbishop’s Lenten Day of Recollection – March 11th
- Theology on Tap: Fostering the Interior Life – March 14th
- Catholic Women for Christ Conference – March 25th
- Taizé Pilgrimage of Trust – various dates throughout Lent
- 40 Days for Life – March 1st-April 9th
What do I need to be purified from?
- The Lentsanity App – This app provides you with more Lenten resources and reminds you to not to eat meat on Fridays!
- A Reflection on Lenten Fasting – Fr. Daniel Merz shares why the Church fasts during Lent and its origins in fasting.
- An Illustrated Guide – Curious about the specifics of fasting and abstinance? This info-graphic explains it all!
How can I use this time to bless others?
- March Missions Madness for Pan Y Amor – March 24th
- Sts. Peter and Paul Service Dinners – every 1st Thursday and 3rd Monday of the month
- Our Lady’s Inn Service Nights – every 3rd Monday of the month
- St. Vincent de Paul Happy Hour – April 2nd